a whole person approach- patient centred care with community involvement
A whole person approach means using a using mixture of resources, techniques, skills, and the practitioers wisdom and intuition to bring benefit to their pateint. It means considering the mind-body connection in every patient or client, taking account of their emotional state and exploring their spirituality. It is looking at the bigger picture that includes relationships, the community and the physical environment. The whole person approach strives to create health and healing as well as treating illness.
- Empowering the patient to value himself or herself by listening to their concerns with attention and offering tools to help.
- Considering the mind-body connection when making an assessment of patient's problems and when suggesting treatment
- Exploring spirituality and providing spiritual care
- Looking at the bigger picture that includes relationships, the community and the physical environment
- C reating health and healing as well as treating illness
Journal of holistic healthcare Well-being issue May 2010 Vol 7 issue 1
Key article Energy medicine and the gulf between body and spirit (pdf)
Holistic Health - Self-Care